**TRAINING PACKAGE REQUIREMENTS**
There are no Training Package entry requirements for this qualification.
**TAFE NSW REQUIREMENTS**
To be successful in this course, you must have:
- Reasonable language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) skills
When you begin your study, you will complete a learning, literacy and numeracy (LLN) assessment to make sure you have the foundation skills required for this qualification. If needed, TAFE NSW will provide support for your LLN needs.
Once you complete this qualification, you will be eligible to apply for an AMSA GPH Certificate of Competency. You need this certificate to apply for jobs in the industry.
There is no work placement requirement for this qualification.
To be prepared for this course, it is recommended that you:
- Have an intermediate level of fitness. Specifically, you should be able to swim 50 metres and stay afloat for 5 minutes, without a life jacket in work attire
- Possess a love for the open water
- Do not suffer from acute ocean sickness
To be employed in the maritime industry, you will also need to consider AMSA certification requirements.
When you successfully complete the Certificate 1 in Maritime Operations, you will be eligible to apply for an AMSA certificate. AMSA requirements include:
- Be at least 16 years old when applying for your AMSA certificate
- Meet medical and eyesight requirements. NOTE: You need to arrange your own appointments for your medical and eyesight assessments. You will also need to provide a certificate that shows the Ishihara Test has not picked up a fault in your colour vision.
- Hold a current First Aid certificate
Visit [AMSA](https://www.amsa.gov.au/qualifications-training/domestic-qualifications/general-purpose-hand-near-coastal) for more information.
Are there any additional entry requirements?
A number of courses may require prospective students to provide additional information such as documentation, an expression of interest, evidence that you are already employed as an apprentice, or preferred prior study (or equivalent).
To be enrolled in this course, you need to be able to provide evidence that you:
- have the ability to swim 50 metres and to stay afloat for 5 minutes without a lifejacket to complete some of the mandatory assessments within this qualification.
To be eligible for a General Purpose Hand Near Coastal Certificate of Competency (licence), under The Austlian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA), a student must:
- be at least 16 years old on the certificate issue date
- meet medical and eyesight requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to arrange their medical and eyesight assessments and provide a certificate or statement stating that they do not suffer any greater abnormality in colour vision than could be tested by the Ishihara Test
- hold a valid first aid certificate (Unit HLTAID003)
To successfully complete this course, you will need:
- reliable internet access
- the ability to attend practical training and assessment sessions
- overalls, protective eyewear, and sun protection for practical sessions
- for wet drills; clothes to get wet in (similar to work clothes, but no wet suits), a second set of clothes (to change into), a towel, sunscreen, and hat
- it is recommended (optional) that you purchase the latest edition of The Australian Boating Manual by Captain Dick Gandy
Credit (or recognition) for modules/units may be granted based on previous learning, studies, work and/or life experiences. Please discuss this with the teaching section when you enrol.