- Getting Started
- Fees and Financial Assistance
- VET FEE-HELP
What is VET FEE-HELP?
VET FEE-HELP is a Commonwealth Government loan scheme that allows eligible students to study now, pay later once they reach a defined income level. It helps vocational education and training students cover their fees and has been available to eligible students in full fee paying (fee for service) Diplomas and above.(VET FEE-HELP has been replaced by VET Student Loans from 1 January 2017).
This means you can study now, gain the qualification you need to get the new job or promotion, and pay back the loan when you can afford it. (It is advisable to seek independent financial advice before applying for a VET Student Loan. A minimum two business day cooling off period is required from when you apply to enrol until your enrolment is finalised and you may submit your application for a VET Student Loan).
Loans for students in government subsidised training places
From July 1 2014, VET FEE-HELP loans were made available to eligible
students in NSW Government subsidised training places to pay their TAFE NSW fee
for Diploma, Advanced Diploma and selected Certificate IV courses. There is no
loan fee for VET FEE HELP or VET Student Loans to students in NSW Government subsidised
training places. Find more information about these changes at VET FEE-HELP: Loans for students in government subsidised training places.
Please note: The trial of selected Certificate IV qualifications ended on 31 December 2016. Loans were available to eligible students to cover tuition fees for Units of Study that had an end date on or before 31 December 2016. Students enrolled in these qualifications will need to self-pay the remaining balance of any fees due in 2017.
Prior to 1 January 2017 TAFE Western Sydney region had partnerships with the following industry leaders to provide quality training and make VET FEE-HELP loans available to all eligible students studying in selected courses.
- Australian Payroll Association, provide online learning and assessment materials for Diploma of Payroll Management. Training, assessment and issuing of qualifications by TAFE NSW (current contract to June 2018)
- Upskilled, assist in the promotion of Agriculture/Agribusiness courses. Training, assessment and issuing of qualifications by TAFE NSW (current contract to 23 April 2018)
- SEEK Learning. OTEN has a 5 year contract with SEEK Learning effective from 1 August 2015 to 31 July 2020 to promote selected courses with VET FEE-HELP loans available to students. Training, assessment and issuing of qualifications by TAFE NSW - OTEN. For more information about SEEK Learning follow this link: oten.tafensw.edu.au/about/our-partners/.
There are no other active partnership arrangements currently in place for TAFE Western Sydney region.
OTEN VET FEE HELP courses offered through SEEK Learning (PDF, 618KB)
Am I eligible for VET FEE-HELP?
To be eligible to apply for a Commonwealth VET FEE-HELP student loan you must:
- be an Australian citizen or permanent humanitarian visa holder who will be a resident in Australia for the duration of the unit of study in which you are seeking VET FEE-HELP assistance
- be a New Zealand Special Category Visa Holder who meets the HELP residency requirements
- provide a tax file number
- provide a Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) or be allocated one
- have not exceeded your FEE-HELP loan limit
- have completed, signed and submitted a valid Request for VET FEE-HELP Assistance form or by submitting an Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (ecaf) on or before the census date
- comply with the TAFE NSW VET FEE-HELP Student Entry Procedure (detailed below)
What are my rights and responsibilities as a VET FEE-HELP student?
If you are considering applying for VET FEE-HELP assistance, you must read the VET FEE-HELP Information Booklet to ensure that you are aware of your obligations under VET FEE-HELP. For further information please view the TAFE NSW – VET FEE-HELP Policy.
TAFE NSW provides fair treatment and ensures equal benefits and opportunities for students who are entitled to VET FEE-HELP assistance.
Withdrawals and refunds
Download Adobe Reader
To view some of the documents and forms on this website, you'll need the Adobe Reader software from Adobe, Inc.